Thursday, April 15, 2010

Echo Echo Echo....

I went for my first echo-cardiogram today. This is the first one in many to come. I am Her2 positive..this means that my cancer cells have too much Her2 protein and grow and can spread more aggressively then normal cancer cells (aren't a lucky~~) aprox 1 in 4 women with breast cancer are Her2 positive. This means that I require another treatment on top of chemotherapy and radiation. I need to have Herceptin. Herceptin is a drug administered through my PICC line that targets Her2 to stop it's activity. It attaches to the Her2 receptor on cancer cells to stop their growth and may even destroy them. It is essential an anti-body to attack the cancer. I have to have Herceptin treatments for aprox. 12 months. The reason for the echo is because Herceptin can possibly effect the heart muscle and reduce it's ability to pump blood (again, aren't I lucky hahaha) This is more common in women who have had certain chemo drugs...one of which I've had. To monitor whether the heart is being effected...I have to have an echo every 3 months while taking Herceptin...then every 3 months for 2 years following the end of Herceptin. The nice lady that gave me my echo today told me everything was great...so I'm starting with a very healthy heart..BONUS (I have said it before, and I'll say it again..I'm a very healthy sick person hahahahahahaha)
I tell ya...if I was ever modest about showing my boobs before this....I can say with all certainty now...I am no longer modest at all LOL
SO..on to my GREAT mail day. I have said before that scrapbookers are the most generous people in the world..with both their friendships and their supplies..and once again..I was proven right. My buddy Lisa (sassyscraps) told me she was sending me a box of goodies..what an absolute sweetheart~I stopped to get the mail on my way home to find a parcel waiting for me at the post office. I told Sean to head to town (only 15 minutes away) because I was really excited to get this package (as I am with EVERY package I know is coming!) When I got into the truck, I just had to open it ..I just couldn't wait until I got home. I seriously couldn't believe my eyes. First of all, here is a picture of the beautiful card that was inside. Now, if any of you read Lisa's blog, you'll have seen this card before. I told her I loved it when she made it...not having a clue she made it for me!!
and here is a picture of everything that was inside that pizza box. I'm still stunned at her generosity and kindness. We haven't been friends long, but boy I tell ya, it feels like we've been friends forever. (isn't it amazing how it feels that way with people you meet online..especially scrappy people :) )
I can't wait to get into this stuff and make her proud!! I only hope someday I can pay if forward to all the people that are making me feel special.
I'm not sure if it's because I have Cancer or not, but I have this overwhelming urge to get as many of my pics scrapped while I'm off...and this will whole heartedly help me with this task!~!
So, one more great mail item to tell you about. I am a volunteer with the Caledon Dufferin Victim Services unit. I have been for aprox 6 years I think. Today in the mail I received an envelope from them and when I opened it , inside was a $20 gift card to Montana's. It was a thank you for this week being Volunteer Week...how cool is that!! The organization has been in operator for 20 years, hence the $20 gift card.
So there you have it...an AWESOME day :)
Keep Smilin'



5 comments:

Sassette said...

OH T, I am so very glad that you got your package! I had so much fun putting this stuff together for you. Shopping for new goodies is so much fun, and it makes it all the more worth while when it is for someone like YOU!

I know that we have not been friends very long, but as you say, it seems like we have known each other forever. It is so amazing when you find someone that you just 'hit it off' with from the get go. I have a few online friends like that, and they are very special people in my heart and my life.

I so can't wait to see what you will get to create with all of your new goodies, and I am just so happy that you liked your package!

HAPPY SCRAPPING my Friend!!!!

Michelle said...

I am so glad your echo went well. Vanity and modesty kind of goes out the window with all of this doesn't it? LOL I hope you are feeling ok..

What a special friend! What a great box of goodies. Make sure you share your creations. I know what you mean about online friends. I have a few like that. They sure can brighten your day!!

Sending you lots of best wishes and hugs! I hope all is going well!! :)

Suzanne said...

I'm sure that some day you'll be able to look back at all your posts and see how far you've come T! Thanks for sharing your journey with us...you have our love and support for sure! Enjoy your goodies, can't wait to see some more layouts!

elcrafty said...

Hi T! that's a great mail day! I'm sure that one day you will be able to pay it forward as what goes around comes around!
glad your echo went well and hopefully it will continue this way!
Enjoy your weekend

pajl said...

That is great T!!!
I have quite enjoyed getting to know Lisa as well!!!
and Lisa..what a great thing to do!
Enjoy it all T!
Glad your Echo went well T...and yes thanks for bringing us along in your journey..
Love ya T!